Chagpori is a sacred hill in the city of Lhasa in Tibet, opposite to Potala Palace. It is considered to be one of the four holy mountains of central Tibet.
“Chagpori Drophenling Dratsang” was the first official school of Tibetan Medicine established in 1696 by Desi Sangye Gyatso during The Fifth Dalai Lama. It was a medical school strictly for monastic students as the study required a deep understanding of the spirituality in order to grasp the depth of the practices of Tibetan Medicine and Buddhist philsophy.
In 1959 when the Chinese invaded Tibet, Chagpori was totally destroyed.
In 1992, Dr. Trogawa Rinpoche who carries the lineage of Chagpori, reestablished “Chagpori Tibetan Medical Institute” in Darjeeling to preserve and promote the lineage of Chagpori.
By Rinpoche’s dedication and hard work, Chagpori lineage is flourishing all over the world. Dr. Yonten is one of the Chagpori alumini.
Chagpori’s three pillars: The Chagpori Medical College, the Clinic and the Pharmacy.